Raising a Geek
Click left side of photo to go to previous entry/ Click the right half of photo to go to the next
Church Choir's Latest Member
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Ok, let me partake into the "my baby is better than yours" game among moms in the park:
1. Play air guitar, air piano and air violin at 15 months
2. Hold the computer mouse and use the keyboards at 16 months
3. Identify an instrument from many instruments in any type of music at 17 months
4. Recite part of the alphabet at 18 months (then the rest on his own at 22 months)
5. Can replace a DVD all by himself at 19 months
6. Count to 10 at 20 months and to 20 at 21 months
7. Gabby is weaned out of the bottle since he was 21 months
8. Sing Twinkle Twinkle, Eensy Weensy Spider and at least 3 more songs at 22 months
9. Gabby is potty trained, well at least with me before he was 2 years old
10. Pray "Grace Before Meals" at 2 years old
I think all of the above are normal. I hope we're not pushing him so much or maybe without our knowledge are raising a child prodigy in our midst. One thing for sure, he has turned out to be a happy kid and has been a source of joy eversince!
Now something related to my work: You might be a computer nerd if...
1. If you introduce your wife as "firstname.lastname@example.org"
2. If your spouse sends you an e-mail instead of calling you to dinner
3. If you can quote scenes from any Monty Python movie
4. If you want an iPad for Christmas
5. If Dilbert is your hero
6. If you stare at an orange juice container because it says CONCENTRATE
7. If you can name 6 Star Trek episodes
8. If the only jokes you receive are through e-mail
9. If your wrist watch has more computing power than a Pentium II
10. If your idea of good interpersonal communication means getting the decimal point in the right place
Don't miss: Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
11. If you look forward to Christmas only to put together the kids' toys
12. If you use a CAD package to design your son's Pine Wood Derby car
13. If you have used coat hangers and duct tape for something other than hanging coats and taping ducts
14. If, at Christmas, it goes without saying that you will be the one to find the burnt-out bulb in the string
15. If you window shop at Radio Shack
16. If your ideal evening consists of fast-forwarding through the latest sci-fi movie looking for technical inaccuracies
17. If you have "Dilbert" comics displayed anywhere in your work area
18. If you carry on a one-hour debate over the expected results of a test that actually takes five minutes to run
19. If you are convinced you can build a phaser out of your garage door opener and your camera's flash attachment
20. If you don't even know where the cover to your personal computer is
21. If you have modified your can-opener to be microprocessor driven
22. If you know the direction the water swirls when you flush
23. If you own "Official Star Trek" anything
24. If you have ever taken the back off your TV just to see what's inside
25. If a team of you and your co-workers have set out to modify the antenna on the radio in your work area for better reception
Dog Sh-ts Himself over Vuvuzela (VIDEO)
26. If you have ever purchased an electronic appliance "as-is"
27. If you see a good design and still have to change it
28. If the salespeople at Circuit City can't answer any of your questions
29. If you still own a slide rule and you know how to work it
30. If the thought that a CD could refer to finance or music never enters your mind
31. If you own a set of itty-bitty screw drivers, but you don't remember where they are
32. If you rotate your screen savers more frequently than your automobile tires
33. If you have a functioning home copier machine, but every toaster you own turns bread into charcoal
34. If you have more toys than your kids
35. If you need a checklist to turn on the TV
36. If you have introduced your kids by the wrong name
37. If you have a habit of destroying things in order to see how they work
38. If your I.Q. number is bigger than your weight
39. If you can remember 7 computer passwords but not your anniversary
40. If you have memorized the program schedule for the Discovery Channel and have seen most of the shows already
41. If you have ever owned a calculator with no equal key and know what RPN stands for
42. If your father sat 2 inches in front of your family's first color TV with a magnifying lens to see how they made the colors, and you grew up thinking that was normal
43. If you know how to take the cover off of your computer, and what size screw driver to use
44. If you can type 70 words a minute but can't read your own handwriting
45. If people groan at the party when you pick out the music
46. If you can't remember where you parked your car for the 3rd time this week
47. If your checkbook always balances
48. If your wristwatch has more buttons than a telephone
49. If you have more friends on the Internet than in real life
50. If you thought the real heroes of "Apollo 13" were the mission controllers
51. If you think that when people around you yawn, it's because they didn't get enough sleep
52. If you spend more on your home computer than your car
53. If you know what http stands for
54. If you've ever tried to repair a $5.00 radio
55. If you have a neatly sorted collection of old bolts and nuts in your garage
56. If your three year old son asks why the sky is blue and you try to explain atmospheric absorption theory
57. When your friend tells you all about his Cressida V6 and you reply "Yeah, I had V5, and it was full of bugs!"
58. When driving you see a license plate with the letters DSR, and you feel compelled to touch your bumper to the other car to see if you can raise CD.
59. When you are counting objects "0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D...".
60. When you lay down in the afternoon for a short rest, end up sleeping 4 hours, and call it a "mega-nap".
61. When your friend is going to Essex for vacation and you tell her, "You really should go for the DX, it has the built in co-processor."
62. When you dream in 256 pallettes of 256 colors.
63. When asked about a bus schedule, you wonder if it is 16 or 32 bits.
64. When you have to go to the bathroom, but you wait until bladder meltdown, since "goto" is bad programming style.
65. When you convince yourself that Tetris really does improve eye-hand coordination.
66. When the radio traffic reporter talks about a backup caused by a crash, and you correct him that a backup is good protection in case of a crash.
67. When floppy drive applies more to your love life, and hard drive to your machines.
68. When you call "*.*" star-dot-star.
69. When you can do hexadecimal arithmetic in your head.
70. When your wife goes to the market for some Macintosh apples, and you correct her, "No, dear, it's 'Apple Macintoshes'."
71. When your wife says "IF you don't turn off that damn machine and come to bed, THEN I am going to divorce you!", and you chastise her for for omitting the ELSE clause.