Overlooking the City
Click left side of photo to go to previous entry/ Click the right half of photo to go to the next
Flat Lands of Calgary, Canada, April 20 1:55 PM Layover to Los Angeles
Lights of Mississauga and Toronto
At Day's End
Mississauga and Calgary, Canada (April 2005)
filed under "Birds Eye View"
We used to have news at day's end. Now we practically have it every minute. I remember waiting for news and watching Harry Gasser at RPN 9 every 7:30 PM when I was a kid and literally glued myself to the tube just to know the news of the day. That probably started my passion for knowing the latest, to be in the loop of what's happening in and around the globe and merely to be informed and not look stupid when people start talking about something.
Toronto is a great city with almost 3 tabloids given out for free for subway and bus commuters. Sometimes you'd see people having one copy each, one they read and the other one on their lap, waiting to be read. I find it funny and selfish, when they could probably pass on the free copy to the next or exchanged the other one with whatever they've finished.
One of my best memories of my daily Toronto subway commute was answering the Metro crossword and leaving it on my seat (its mine, because I've marked it), and finding out after day's end that someone finished the same crossword puzzle for me. I think we were able to do this twice. Apparently after 3 months of commuting, I never knew who my mystery crossword puzzle finisher was.
Some material for a great subway movie eh?
At I lab Balita! (another one of my original palindromes):
(watch out for the headlines below as they get updated to the minute)
- Ock Doc and Gandalf join Amelie and Forrest Gump in the movie set to star in the "Da Vinci Code".
- If the Toronto Raptors lose tonight's last game of the season (vs. Lebron and the Cavs) they'll get their revenge vs. Vince Carter (but only if the Nets lose). Will we be seeing the Raptors roll over just to spite Vinsanity? This is one of those few times that losers can be winners. I'll be the biggest winner if I LOSE all these extra fat and this ugly beer belly. (Nets enter playoffs despite having the same record as Lebron's Cavs.)
- Pope John Paul II's 1995 book "Crossing the Threshold of Hope" makes NYTimes Top 5 books after 2 weeks. I'm reading NYTimes' no. 1 for the last 8 weeks! Hardly anytime to open it. yikes.
- Ecuador's People Power ousts President.
- Don't laugh but I might be able to pass Dork Street this week.
- Filipino dies in Iraq for stepping out of a US Military camp to buy a ringtone
- StarWars.com has released 3 TV Spots for Episode III: Revenge of the Sith which opens on May 19. TV Trailer 1. TV Trailer 2. TV Trailer 3.
- Google Maps now available in the UK. Try it!
- Penalties stiffen for DVD bootlegging but OKs electronic edit content on DVDs. Sweet.
- Arroyo wishes ex-President Erap a Happy
- We got a new Pope, a simple, humble worker in the vineyard of the Lord.
- Flickr doubles Pro Accounts' monthly upload space from the already generous 1 GB to 2 GB!
- They're still alive, and tonight in Amazing Race 7, they could be gone. But just the same, Rob and Amber will have another show-for-TV next month - their grand wedding!