Click left side of photo to go to previous entry/ Click the right half of photo to go to the next
Lynnhaven,Virginia Beach, Virginia (August 20, 2007)
My first choice for a University course was Civil Engineering. In fact I passed my UPCAT to take up that quota course - but never pursued it and instead went for Electronics and Communications Engineering and finally Industrial Management Engineering after getting electrocuted in a lab experiment. No kidding.
Back to taking up Civil Engineering,- since childhood, I always wanted to build bridges. Reading about the 28 kilometer Chesapeake Bridge (see bridge in the background of all the pics) just recently made me recall why it was a passion of mine.
An Engineering-wonder, the tunnel-bridge connects the Eastern Shore of Virginia to Norfolk/Virginia Beach in the mainland. It has in 1990, a parallel bridge constructed to future-proof the demands into the current century. It continues to be a marvel and a beauty to see 'til this day.
So you've heard about the move to face out of the penny? Well just like the Philippine 1-centavo, 5-centavo and 10-centavo, it costs more to produce a penny than a penny itself.
It now is 2-cents worth.
Finally, my schedule for the week will be more normal than usual. Whew! My first complete week that I won't have to spend in a foreign land :) More time to spend in the arms of my lovedone.
Here's our version of the famous state slogan, "Virginia is for lovers".
Things We Learned This Week
10. There is a new email scourge - the friendly email - called "BACN"
9 . I wonder if a Pinoy will launch a new term "TAPSILOG" for email chain-letters which Pinoys so fancy. :)
8. There are more bacteria on a hospital room's TV remote control than on the flush handle of a hospital room toilet.
7. There are more bacteria in the hospital. Period.
6. The Philippines has had a short August. Several flooded days, and 2 consecutive long weekends!
5. Of course that's nothing compared to Bosnia, which has only 2 holidays for the whole year!
4. Next Monday, its the US and Canada's turn :) It's labor day and we don't have to labor :)
3. From the UrbanDictionary: the week's best invented word is : "Butt Dial" - When your cell phone accidentally calls someone you did not mean to while on your person or because of your butt size, you dial someone after accidentally sitting down on your newly-hacked Iphone. :)
2. My favorite was from 2004, "Wi-Five: - a non-contact high-five with someone you're talking on the cellphone.
1. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" the last of the JK Rowlings's masterpiece was only in Number 1 for 3 weeks :(. Who has been number 1 for the past 2 weeks? "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. But if you count that the 7th edition was number 1 since February 2007 even before it's release, then that should tell you something. Here's more, on the 5th day, July 26th, it has been bought by 10% of the whole Britain. Uhm, they never share do they? :)
I just lost 6 pounds from my holiday weight! Woo hoo! I may not have problems butt-dialing accidentally my cell, while reading my Harry Potter book, and staying away from the hospital. It's Labor Day Monday next week, time to lose 10 more!!!