Up or Down
Click left side of photo to go to previous entry/ Click the right half of photo to go to the next



Stairs at Terroni
Queen St. Toronto, Ontario

"Life is like a set of stairs, its either you going up or going down."


"Do you have any questions for me?" I asked an applicant after my part of asking him questions, in an interview for a sales position.

"Sir...what has been your secret for success in staying in an organization without any conflict with co-employees?"

I remember being taken aback by the question more than a decade ago. I wanted to come up with a witty retort or leave it as it is, and look stupid to ask, "pardon me" or "can you rephrase that again?"

But knowing myself and knowing how I react in situations - cool and unperturbed, I cleared my throat and leaned forward and told him straight. "I feign weakness". What I told him was neither life-changing nor a defining moment wisdom but a secret that I always kept close to my heart for the last 17 years in my career.

In a world full of people pretending to know everything. I pretend that I don't. What I do is: to feign weakness.

1. To acknowledge the strength of my bosses - they're there because of their hard work It is not brown nosing or ass kissing, but basically knowing where you are in the hierarchy of an organization.

2. To know your position in the scheme of things - do not do what your bosses should do, or else you are doing a disservice to the organization as they have an overpaid executive.

3. To negotiate within limits - when given an assignment, ask "when do you need this?" If the date is unmanageable nor apparently impractical, say "I can do that within that time, but since I want something turned in with quality, can you add another week or two?"

4. To be in a position to seek help - you can never do anything successfully without the help of anyone. Always start a request even to a peer or an assistant with "I need your help..."

5. Lastly, pretend that you don't know everything. Because - honey, you don't, and even if you do, no one cares and no one is paid a CEO's salary because you just happen to know how to be a CEO. You are paid a CEO's salary because you are the CEO. So even if you know how to do it, you don't and you can't. Maybe you won't.

If you want me to explain what I just said, my curt answer is "I don't know. Maybe you can help me. I'm getting confused myself as I'm not good in giving all these advices."

One thing I'm sure, Sun Tzu of "The Art of War" fame validates what I've wanted to say for the last 5 minutes. He said "All warfare is based on deception."

So the next time you have anything against your boss - acknowledge his strengths (not his weakness, even if he has a lot of them) and know that you can work better knowing that you don't want to do his work, and yes please know your place. When expectations are not practical, deadlines are tight, negotiate - and within limits.

Oh yes, whatever happened to the applicant? He accepted the position. He worked from one of the junior salespeople positions to being Sales Manager, all within 1 year.

He came up to me when my movement to another company was announced and said, "hey thanks man, my interview with you was memorable and I was able to succeed remembering those same words".

"Huh? Did I?. Get out of here, you know you are a good salesman, you always ask the right questions..."

"Sometimes I don't get you".
he said turning his back from my door.

"Me too." - to end our repartee.

Of course, there's a difference between false humility and pretending a weak stance. But that's for another blog entry.

*************

You know why Kobe hasn't won a Most Valuable Player award all of his past 12 years in the NBA although he has won 3 championship rings, led scoring for a number of times and continue to enjoy MVP-type of a season year in year out?

He hasn't feigned weakness.

I love Kobe - but for me, he IS NOT the most valuable player. His teammates were the most valuable teammates and allowed him to be good for the 12th year.


<< >>


Bookmark this post on:



Search in Memento

MEMENTO MOMENTS
------------------------
RECENT MEMORIES
Click Pic to Review Images
Gabby's Bday
Gab 2nd Bday
Summer 10
Summer'10
Lalaland 2010
LA/Vegas
Spring '10
Spring'10
Christmas in Manila
Xmas 09
Angels in our Midst
Angels
Sept 2009 in Manila
Sept 09
Boracay
Boracay
DMode 2009
DMode
Summer 09
Summer 09
High Park
May 09
Golden Gate
San Fo
Feb 2009 in Manila
In Manila
Hung
Jan 09
Pearl Farm
Xmas 08
Nov 08
Nov 08
fall08
Oct 08
GK Walk 2008
Sept 08
August
GKYB
Hung
July 08
Grand River Rafting
June 08
Ants POV
May 08
Spiderman Spiderman
April 08
Manila Foodies
Manila
Cebu
Cebu
yawn
Jan 08
12
12th Yr
Xmas 07
Xmas 07
Summer in December
LA
X Marks the Spot
Dallas
The Day After the Snowstorm
Winter07
Van Halen RIM Rocks
Van Halen
Washington
Police
Milton Walk
Milton
Virginia Visit
Virginia
Washington
DC
GK Youth Build
GKYB
Canada Day
Toronto
Aguilars Visit
Aguilars
10 Eggs Balanced
Spring
15th Year Together
Kinse
La Luz
La Luz
Ruby Anniversary in Cebu
Cebu
Manila
Manila
Salmon Run
Owen Snd
Our New Home
New Home
June 29-July 3
Cape Cod
Boston
Boston
Apartment
Apartment
Tobermory
Tobermory
Linnor in Toronto
Toronto
New York in One Day
NYC
Jerry-Linnor in Niagara
Niagara
Jerry-Linnor in Grand Canyon
Arizona
Las Vegas
Las Vegas
Jerry-Linnor in Hollywood
Hollywood
Memento Around The World 2
MATW 2
Cherry Blossoms at High Park
High Park
Blue Mountain at Collingwood
Blue Mtn
Memento Around The World 1
MATW 1
Sta Monica and LA
Sta Monica
Chicago over a Weekend
Chicago
LA Vacation
LA
Walk To Remember
Mississauga
Disney with Mama, Papa, Tito Rhante and Tita Nita
Disney
September 24 2005
Hollywood
Niagara Falls : Sept 21 2005
Niagara
June 27-July 2: Manhattan, NYC and Jersey
NYC
Sept 5-9: From Kingston to Montreal, to Quebec and Ottawa
Roadtrip
Toronto Trip : September 2005
Toronto

MEMENTO PROJECTS
Click Pic to Review Images

Best 24 of 2004
24 of 2004
B-Sides of 2005
B-Sides
Best 36 of 2005
36 of 2005
International Photo Scavenger Hunt
26 Things
A Day In the Life
May Day
Adventures in Reflective Surfaces
Mirror Proj
Connect 8 Images
Connect 8
Paris-B&W
Paris-B&W
24 Different Flowers in 2.4 Hours
2 Dozen
A Day in the Life: Leap Day
Leap Day
International Photo Scavenger Hunt Part 2
26 Things2
Alphabet in Pictures
Alphotobet

------------------------
CREDITS



-->
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.



(c)copyright,2002-2010